Saturday, March 20, 2010

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

This was a read for one of my book clubs.  At first, I was hoping it was the "Outlander" book by Gil Adamson that I just finished and adored.  I have to admit that when I found out it was the Outlander book by Diana Gabaldon featuring time-travel to 1800's Scotland and then to discover it is 650+ pages, I was less than enthused.  Then I started reading it.  It was instantly absorbing and heartwarming, and evokes the land and lore of Scotland, quickening both with realistic characters and a feisty, likable heroine. English nurse Claire and husband Frank take a second honeymoon in the Scottish Highlands in 1945. When Claire walks through a cleft stone in an ancient henge, she's somehow transported to 1743. She encounters Frank's evil ancestor, and is adopted by another clan.

This book has romance, swashbuckling adventures and lots of action (as well as LOTS of sex!). Scenes of the Highlanders' daily life blend poignant emotions with Scottish wit and humor. I believe that this is one of a series of five books and based on how much I enjoyed this novel, I will be reading the others in the series.  Yet another reason why I love my book clubs as, I would never have read this book on my own.  I am glad to have had my horizons expanded by being introduced to this novel.  Thanks Najia!  If you want to lose yourself in a wonderful light easy-to-read novel that will sweep you away with the romance and adventure -- this is it!

Rating: 4.8  Recommend