Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Coffee Trader by David Liss

This novel takes place in 17th-century Amsterdam in 1659 during the Golden Age. The book's main character is a Portuguese Jew named Miguel Lienzo, who has recently lost a bundle after the sugar market crash and is now trying to resurrect himself by searching for investors who would consider a new product called "coffee".

As one Amazon reviewer put it: "If Starbucks Coffee was smart, they'd start selling David Liss's new novel THE COFFEE TRADER right alongside all their other caffeinated laced beverages. After winning the 2000 Edgar Award for Best First Novel for A CONSPIRACY OF PAPER, Liss has created another masterpiece relating to the historical fiction genre."

I am not a huge coffee fan but, this book made me want to go grab a cup while I read about the bustle of 1659 Amsterdam filled with traders, schemers and many other characters attracted by the robust commodities exchange.  It lost my interest though and I soon found it abandoned as I moved on to other books.

Rating: 1 Do not recommend