Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick

A Reliable WifeWhen Catherine Land, who's survived a traumatic early life by using her wits and sexuality as weapons, happens on a newspaper ad from a well-to-do businessman in need of a "reliable wife," she invents a plan to benefit from his riches and his need. Her new husband, Ralph Truitt, discovers she's deceived him the moment she arrives in his remote hometown. Driven by a complex mix of emotions and simple animal attraction, he marries her anyway.

A Reliable Wife is a book club selection that I probably wouldn't have read.  It has more twists and turns than a hairpin racetrack.  There was a lot of suspense and foreshadowing.  Everytime I thought I knew what was going to happen, something else unfolded and I had to adjust where I thought the book was going.  Thanks Ann for picking this book.  The writing is excellent and it captures the 1900's Wisconsin town and dynamics so well.

Rating: 3.4 Mediocre