Sunday, January 16, 2011

What I Was by Meg Rosoff

An unnamed man recounts his time as a disgruntled student at St. Oswald's boarding school; upon ditching an outdoor physical education class jog, he stumbles upon a mysterious fellow teen named Finn who lives alone and off the grid in a hut by the sea. The protagonist, enraptured by his newfound friend, makes it his business to spend as much time as possible with Finn, a major challenge considering school curfews and that the hut can only be accessed during low tide. Weeks go by and Finn falls ill, setting the stage for a surprising revelation that will dramatically transform both boys. Rosoff's unconventional coming-of-age tale is elegantly crafted and elegantly portrays how we often become who we need to be.

I really enjoyed this book and find myself reflecting on it.  I think it will stay with me for a long while.

Rating: 4.6

No comments:

Post a Comment