Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun
Rubin is not an unhappy woman: she has a loving husband, two great kids and a writing career in New York City. Still, she could-and, arguably, should-be happier. Thus, her methodical happiness project: spend one year achieving careful, measurable goals in different areas of life (marriage, work, parenting, self-fulfillment) and build on them cumulatively, using concrete steps (such as, in January, going to bed earlier, exercising better, getting organized, and "acting more energetic"). By December, she's striving bemusedly to keep increasing happiness in every aspect of her life. The outcome is good but not perfect.

I am not big on 'self-help' books but, this is very easy to read and her systematic approach appeals to my list keeping part of my brain.  Overall, I found this a very enjoyable book that I think almost everyone would benefit from to appreciate the things that we have in our life and focus on things that make us happy.

Rating: 4.2  Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment