Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire HunterWhen this book was picked for my book club, despite being told "don't let the title put you off, it is really good", I have to admit that the title put me off and I wasn't interested in it.  I figured I would just get a sample on my Kindle and see what it was like.  Well, I just bought it and was glad I read it, although it is not one I would recommend.

Grahame-Smith inserts a grandiose and gratuitous struggle with vampires into Abraham Lincoln's life. Lincoln learns at an early age that his mother was killed by a supernatural predator. This provokes his bloody but curiously undocumented lifelong vendetta against vampires and their slave-owning allies. The author's decision to reduce slavery to a mere contrivance of the vampires is unfortunate bordering on repellent, but at least it does distract the reader from the central question of why the president never saw fit to inform the public of the supernatural menace.

Rating: 3.0  Good

No comments:

Post a Comment