Monday, July 11, 2011

Every Man Dies AloneEvery Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This sweeping saga takes place in Berlin under the Nazis and focuses primarily on a working-class couple who, after their only son is killed at the front, decide to take a stand with a resistance campaign. I was engrossed in following their efforts, the furious Gestapo's efforts to capture them along with the many other sinister neighbors, co-workers and snitches. This book captures the fear that every person felt living through those times and makes you see how, despite this fear, many Germans did what they felt was right to stand up against the Reich. I love books that are translated from another language. It adds to their richness. I was 3/4 of the way through this book before I googled it and discovered that this was based on a true story. I wasn't surprised to discover that the author lived through this horrific time which explains his ability to capture the incredible details and evoke so many emotions. You must read this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment