Monday, January 16, 2012

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

LolitaLolita by Vladimir Nabokov
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I purposely procrastinated reading this book due to the uncomfortable subject matter. Now that I am reading it, I wonder why I didn’t read it sooner. Yes, it touches a deep nerve in the reader that makes the subject matter extremely disturbing. That being said, it is magnificent and I can’t wait to return to reading it. It is honest and raw and Humbert, the middle aged pedophile who seduces the 12 year old girl Lolita, is a witty, charming likeable character. At times, you can actually see things through his eyes and even sympathize with this madman. That shows you the incredible capabilities of the writer. The writing is sheer poetry with perfect diction and syntax. There is a reason that this book gets almost all 5 star reviews and is listed in the Top 100 Books of All Time.   Jeremy Irons reading on the the audio version definitely added to the richness of this exquisite novel

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment