Saturday, February 4, 2012

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Le Cirque des Rêves comes to town with no warning. It is only open at night. Inside each of the black-and-white striped canvas tents is a breathtaking unique experience.

I just finished this book and my brain is still swirling. I can see why this is a love it or hate it book. Some reasons that people may hate it are:

• The timeline jumps around from the early 1890's, to 1895, to 1893, back to 1898, up to 1901, back to 1899, etc. It was very struggling to read; she be in 1895 for a chapter, jump around through years for 5 or more chapters, then go back to 1985

• There are a lot of 'main' characters (15 in all!).

• Each chapter is told from a different characters perspective, and if that isn't enough, some chapters are written as if you are the one walking into a tent.

All of this being said, I am definitely in the 'loved it' camp. It takes a skilled author to be able to pull all of this off.  The writing is gorgeous. Don't worry too much about keeping track of everything. Read it and get lost in the magical beauty of the book and the circus.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment