Saturday, May 18, 2013

Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne

My rating:  4.7

If Gwynne had been my history teacher, I would have loved history!  At the center of the story is the kidnapping of 9 yo Cynthia Ann Parker by the Comanches but Gwynne masterfully weaves together a variety of diverse events about the Americans and the Comanches in the 1800's.

 This shows that the Comanches were the most powerful tribe in American history, due to their equestrian skills that they gained from observing the Spaniards, and details the harrowing violence of their attacks.  I highly recommend the audio version as the narration added so much to this book for me. This felt like an impartial telling with the strengths and flaws of both sides laid out in the telling of this fascinating piece of history.

No comments:

Post a Comment