Saturday, July 20, 2013

Maya's Notebook by Isabel Allende


Maya's Notebook

My rating:  3.8

19 year old Maya escapes her foray into a life of drugs, crime and prostitution by going into hiding on a remote island off the coast of Chile.  This story is told in flashbacks from Maya's writings in her notebook.

Allende is an amazing author that made this book come to life.  I loved so many of the characters - eccentric Nini cracked me up, Popo was so wonderful and I wanted to be wrapped up in his arms, my heart broke for Freddy.  This book was a blend of light and fun and some VERY intense and heavy scenes.  There were times that this was too far fetched and the book also seemed to drag but, the great writing made me.  This is not Allende's best work but, still a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment