Sunday, April 6, 2014

How to Start a Book Club


I highly encourage you to join a book club.  If you can't find one you like, start your own!

Before you start your club, decide on things like:

  • a name
  • the type of books you want to read (mysteries, fiction, non-fiction?)
  • how you want to run your club
  • how many members
  • where do you want to have it

The hardest part is advertising.  I have had good luck with putting up flyers at Starbucks, advertising in the local paper.  Meet-up.com is ok but you have to realize that meetup is meant as a 'drop in' event so I haven't had as good of luck when I want permanent members.



2 comments:

  1. I do understand giving a book to read, but how do you discuss it? Is there an agenda you recommend? I'd love to start one, but don't know how it's conducted.
    Thank you and I always look forward to your you tubes! You do a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry, I just found your comment now. Google+ and I have issues. I let each person who owns the month decide how they want to discuss the book. Some have a set of questions they wrote down while reading the book or found online (there are lots online if you search the book title and 'discussion'), others just open it up to the group and the conversation goes from there. Once the group gets comfortable with each, your biggest problem will be trying to get control of the group to ask a question! lol I hope that you start up a club as it really is so much fun.

      Delete