Monday, September 14, 2015

The Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma

Rating: 4.8

I read this as it is on the long list for the Man Booker PrizeThis is about a close-knit family in 1990's Nigeria. It is told by 9 year old Benjamin. This large family consists of the strict father, loving mother and Ben's 3 older brothers and his younger brother and sister.



This book is about this family's spiral into ruins after a madman's prophesy drives one brother to be plagued with fear. The first part had me laughing out loud with the wonderful stories that capture African families their story-telling and beliefs, the last half had me clutching my heart and wishing I could help the characters. This is a dark, haunting, tragic story that will stay with me. So sad.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait for this to be available from my library. I was in NY at Strand Bookstore yesterday and had it in my hands. I ended up buying A Brief History of Seven Killings instead since my Library doesn't have it on order and eventually my number will come up on the Fishermen. By the way, I read The Nightingale on vacation and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you liked The Nightingale. I have the 7 Killings on my Kindle (my library must have a better selection as they had both those books) so let me know what you think of it. I hope you had a fabulous vacation! xoxo

      Delete