Monday, December 14, 2015

Never Fall Down by Patricia McCormick

My rating: 4.8

Arn is a kid doing normal kid things like selling ice cream with his brother, enjoying music and playing games. But after the soldiers march the entire population into the countryside, his life is changed forever.  He is separated from his family, sees so much death, works in a labor camp and is eventually recruited by the Khmer Rouge. 



I listened to this book on my iPod from the library and think that the voice really added to it's authenticity. This amazing true story tells of how Arn defies the odds to survive the Cambodian genocide of 1975-1979 and the labor camps to now be a Human Rights Activist.

Thank you Jeana for recommending this book to me - thoroughly enjoyable!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Very much! Thank you :-) Have you ever read The Disappeared by Kim Echlin? That is the only other book I have read on this (written from a totally different perspective but still really good)

      Delete
    2. Just found my review in case you are interested: http://elleisforliterature.blogspot.com/2010/05/disappeared-by-kim-echlin.html

      Delete
  2. oh, looks good. I just checked and my library doesn't have but I was able to pick up on paperback swap.

    ReplyDelete