Saturday, March 26, 2016

The House of Special Purpose by John Boyne

My rating: 4.8

Part love story, part historical epic, part tragedy. Georgy is 80 years old and his beloved with Zoya is dying of cancer. He starts flashing back to when he was a teenager and how he went from being a teenage son of a poor farmer to the bodyguard to the Tzar.  



Great character development, a piece of history I was unaware of mixed with fabulous story telling. Although some of the story was far fetched, I went along with it every step of the way and loved it.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for reviewing. It sounds like it is something I would enjoy. This book was not on my radar but I have now added to TBR.
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how it ended up in my queue but I really enjoyed it. BTW, I am struggling but still haven't been able to get in to A Little Life and may give up on it soon. :-(

      Delete
  2. I have now heard a couple of friends who have similar reading tastes say they felt the authour tried too hard to manipulate the reader's emotions. She threw something at the character to make the reader feel sympathy then something else and finally it just wasn't believable. That is my biggest pet peeve when reading, I can't stand to feel the author trying to manipulate my feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. Well, knowing that I think I am going to put it aside. I just read 3/4 of a book where it was so manipulative and contrived I couldn't stand it anymore so don't need to read A Little Life as well lol!

      Delete
  3. sorry, was referring to A Little Life in my comment above.

    ReplyDelete