Friday, July 8, 2016

Glory Over Everything by Kathleen Grissom

My rating: 4.8

I enjoyed Grissom's first book The Kitchen House  a lot, so when a friend said that she had enjoyed her second book, I eagerly picked it up. 

This book is set in the 1800's and starts off with a black man, Henry, approaching Jamie to help him find his son who is also Jaime's beloved servant Pan. As the story unfolds, it also flashes back in time to explain how Jaime and Henry met when Jamie had to flee his Virginia Plantation home and, as a white man, soon gets employment as a silversmith. 





This is a stand alone novel but, if you have read The Kitchen House, you will realize that Jamie is a continuation of a character from that book.  This was a gripping story with vivid characters. I loved the alternating voices in each chapter. Just like Grissom's first book I found myself looking forward to squirreling away time to be able to find out what had happened to the characters that I had come to know and care about.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this review. I read The Kitchen House and really enjoyed. I forgot that this was coming out. I added to my ong TBR, look forward to readng as soon as I make it to the top of the library reserve list.
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete