Monday, September 5, 2016

The Great Santini by Pat Conroy

My rating: 4.8

This is about Bull Meecham, a Marine fighter pilot, and his family.  As is typical of the Marine lifestyle, they move all too often which is difficult on his four children and his wife. Bull is "the best damn fighter pilot" and expects all of his children to be the best too. Bull Meecham is a very complex character and Conroy captures him so well. He is lovable, volatile and controlling - and whether you love him or hate him (or both!) he will stay with you.


I loved the Prince of Tide's and Pat Conroy's writing is equally as beautiful in this novel and, as always, his love of South Carolina shows through.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe that I haven't read a Pat Conroy novel yet. I met him last year at the Decatur Book Festival where he spoke and this past weekend his friends, family and other writers honored his life in the opening night of the 2016 Decatur Book Festival. I have two books on the shelf, South of Broad and Prince of Tides and I must get one of these in my reading stack this year! Thanks for the review and the second reminder this weekend that I must read a Pat Conroy novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jeana, I envy you having met Pat Conroy. You definitely need to read his books. They capture so much and sweep you away. The prose is beautiful. I find I look up so many words (of course I don't remember them all lol!) and yet the prose isn't pretentious...it just captures so much. I hope you put one to the top of your queue and love it. I am loving having so much time to read while we are in Maui! :-) xoxo

      Delete